Sunday 19 April 2009

Visitors

I opened the sliding back door and stepped into the living room and was greeted with "Did you stand on the moths?" I stepped outside again to investigate, and found several Swift (or Rain) Moths on my door step. We really haven't had very much rain, more like showers I'd say, but it must have been enough to encourage the moths to leave the ground. Hepialidae family, Trictena sp. maybe. One of you will know. It's worth clicking on the images to enlarge to see the antennae - amazing.

1 comment:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Boobook

Nice big fat Moths.
I chuckled at the question about not stepping on the Moths. They hang around my door too.

I have seen some similar ones myself in the rain, over the last week. Not sure of the species yet.

My computer has been down, and now I have to catch up with posting, and with ID of many moths.
Cheers
Denis