Saturday 9 July 2011

Town Swamp, Kerang (again)

On 16 May this year I wrote a blog about the Town Swamp at Kerang and mentioned the bird hide there. Well it no longer exists. I was planning to do a quick walk there this morning before we crossed the Loddon and my plan was thwarted when I read in the local paper that it was burnt down last week. The article didn't say so but I presume it was vandalised - a perfectly harmless bird hide attacked for no reason. Hopefully it will be rebuilt because it's in a very good spot for birdwatching.

Today we drove through Swan Hill to Balranald in New South Wales and knew I was on holidays when I saw mallee scrub, and callitris on the sandhills. The number of trees were flowering and the River Red Gums had lots of new growth - the wet year after years of drought has been very beneficial.

We're camped in a lovely spot next to the Murrumbidgee River. We didn't get here until almost dusk so I haven't had time to explore yet but it should be worth a look in the morning. Tomorrow I may even get my binoculars and camera out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

l & P Travel safely & well. W T