Saturday, 1 August 2009

Carnarvon

A friend said she was disappointed when she went to London because she expected all the famous buildings and statues to be bigger. So I was prepared to be disappointed by Carnarvon Gorge because I've heard people rave about it.

But no. The reverse in fact. It's a marvellous place and the Parks staff are doing a great job making sure the thousands of visitors each year don't damage the place. We walked between high sandstone cliffs, criss-crossing a creek numerous times, looked at several side gorges of note on the way, enjoyed the birds and the trees (the several species of Cabbage Palm were a delight).
I saw several insects and butterflies on the way but with a surfeit of delights it was hard to concentrate on just one area of nature, and with so many river crossings I had to watch my feet as well. The kids on a school camp seemed not to have to watch their feet at all, but then I don't think they saw as much as I did - they were too busy trying to impress each other :)

1 comment:

Denis Wilson said...

Great Image of Carnarvon Gorge.
It is on my list of places to see one day.
Nice striped Cockroach, and great red Dragonfly.
Cheers
Denis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...