Wednesday 5 August 2009

Views from the boardwalk

The tide was out but a little pond of saltwater remained near the mangroves. It looked very dull and murky but then we noticed several schools of tiny fish. I couldn't get a clear image on the LCD screen on my camera but took several photos anyway. After I'd downloaded them to the computer, cropped the image a little and corrected the colour balance I was amazed to see colourful little fish appear on the screen. I've no idea what they are.

And I don't know what this little skink is either. Two of them were on the wooden fence near the beach. (Update: Apparently it's a Wall Skink Cryptoblepharus virgatus.)


2 comments:

Gouldiae said...

G'day Boobook,
You are having a great trip. I'm enjoying it too. Loved the Apostle Birds eyeing off the camera. Didn't enjoy 'Breaking The Rules' very much and I'm guessing you didn't either.
Can't help with your piscatorial ID, except that there is a widespread species called a Spotted Scat that lives in brackish coastal waters up north?
Enjoy!
Gouldiae.

Snail said...

I would have plumped for spotted scat too. Watch out for archer fish as well!