Wednesday 5 September 2007

Seaview Park wildlife

Not only people find flowers attractive. I went to Seaview Park to visit the flowers and so did the Pomaderris Moth Casbia eccentritis. It seemed that every time I took a step I disturbed a moth. The preconceived idea that moths fly only at night 'flew out the window'. And they're very difficult to see after they land. This one was looking a little 'moth-eaten'.

Casbia eccentritis


Eriophora biapicata

The tiny Orb-weaver Eriophora biapicata was suspended on its web in the middle of the Acacia paradoxa and blowing about wildly in the wind, suspended head down. This photo is one of those miracles that occasionally happen against the odds. I won't be showing the ten photos I took that were totally blurred!
The beautiful little pale-blue flowers of the New Holland Daisy Vittadinia gracilis were hardly noticeable. And neither was the bug sitting on one of them. The Seed bug (of the Lygaeidae family) posed nicely while I took his photo.

Seed Bug

A little flock of Yellow-rumped Thornbills passed through from bush to bush, a male Golden Whistler was calling loudly and a Grey Fantail was having a lot to say. None of these are particularly common in Belmont so it was great to see them paying Seaview Park a visit. All this wildlife, and right here in suburbia. [Thanks Dave, for your help with invertebrate identification.]

1 comment:

Duncan said...

Interesting moth Boobook, I've seen lots of pomaderris but never the moth. I see Andrew isles has a A Guide to Australian Moths in his latest catalogue, I'm sorely tempted!