Sunday 6 July 2008

An almanac of essays

I'm missing my library of reference books, but have decided that names are an artificial adjunct of progress anyway, and that I can just enjoy the environment. A friend gave me Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac to read and I brought it away with me. The essays on conservation were written half a century ago but they are now a classic and I'm enjoying them immensely. Every second paragraph seems to have a 'quotable quote' and one or two might find their way into this blog. If you haven't read it try and get a copy from your library asap.

2 comments:

mick said...

Who needs names with a photo like that? I'll just enjoy the color coordination!

Gouldiae said...

G'day Boobook,
I agree with your comment, 'names are an artificial adjunct'. Not knowing the correct name never spoils any discovery I make. Anyway, I often have my own 'Ben Crauchan' Field Guide beside me.
Looking forward to some 'A Sand County Almanac' quotes.
Regards,
Gouldiae.