Friday 22 July 2011

All about snails

Before we left on holiday I dashed into a secondhand bookshop and bought a dozen books for reading material while we're away - the usual mixture of whodunnits and light reading, nothing too intense.
I started reading one slim book yesterday and haven't been able to put it down. I'm exaggerating. Today we did the obligatory visit to Longreach's highlights (QANTAS Founders and Stockman's Hall of Fame) - both excellent value by the way.


Stockman's Hall of Fame

Part of the display in the original QANTAS hanger.

We've also done the School of the Air tour, walked some of the delightful botanical walk and checked out the Powerhouse Museum. And we've sampled the rather yummy vanilla slices at the Merino Cafe. There's plenty to do in Longreach.

But I digress. I've finished reading the book. The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elizabeth Tova Bailey is described by Tim Flannery thus: 'This book makes us see the natural world afresh'. And it does. Bailey writes very well about her own circumstances and how she came to be so well acquainted with a snail. It was published last year and is an intriguing read. Do yourself a favour.
And I think I may have more respect for those snails in my garden now.

PS Inside photos take on 2 second exposure rather than flash.

No comments: